The report showcases the commitment of some 19 companies that founded the UN Environment Programme-facilitated initiative, including Sony Interactive Entertainment, Microsoft, and Google Stadia in September 2019, and sets out the initiative’s plans for the coming year.
Some of the key achievements of the Alliance in 2020 were:
- The 2020 Green Game Jam reached 110 million people through activations placed in games made by 11 major studios including titles such as Angry Birds and Subway Surfers;
- Two-thirds of the companies have committed to reduce their carbon footprint with a new calculator for the industry to be created in 2021;
- An additional 8 major companies joined the Alliance including Unity and MAG Interactive taking it to a total of 29 video gaming companies with a combined reach of well over 1.2 billion monthly active users with more studios set to join in 2021.
This industry has the potential to reach one in three people on the planet and will be a critical partner if we are to win the greatest multiplayer challenge of our time: climate change. We’re delighted to see the progress the Alliance has made so far and know that this is just scratching the surface of what’s possible.
Sam Barratt, Chief of Youth, Education and Advocacy at UNEP and Co-Founder of the Alliance
19 companies reported their progress with the following work being undertaken in 2020:
- 8 focused on reaching their audience with green activations through play
- 9 on carbon offsetting and energy efficiency programs
- 1 on research and insight for the industry
In 2021 the Alliance will focus on priorities including:
- Integrating authentic green activations in games: building on the success of the 2020 Green Game Jam, the aim this year is to reach 1 billion monthly active users with environmental messaging and a focus on restoration as the core theme. The Jam will be launched in March.
- Restoration and Decarbonisation: to support companies to decarbonise and to support action around the theme of restoration and conservation of forests, with the aim of reaching 1 billion gamers and securing 10 million actions on this agenda. The industry also plans to host a summit on this agenda at COP26 in Glasgow.