New milestones were celebrated as 10 new members joined the Playing for the Planet Alliance and a new film celebrating the outcomes of the 2021 Green Game Jam was premiered at the UKIE and ISFE hosted “Green Games Summit”.
The Green Game Jam has seen 30 studios take part with major support for themes on restoration of forests and ocean ecosystems with a new film show-casing the progress in 2021 which will also be shown at COP26 in Glasgow. The film can be viewed here:
New members that were announced at the Summit include:
- BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc who will reduce carbon emissions by 35% by the year 2030, be carbon net-zero by 2050 and participate in the Green Game Jam 2021 and 2022.
- SEGA Europe who will help to reduce plastic usage in the games industry and beyond, through the development of a packaging protocol for the Alliance and reducing its own carbon footprint following an internal audit.
- Pixel Federation who will join the Green Game Jam 2022, work on restoration through concrete off-the-grid action, support a new off-the-grid educational innovation targeted at circular economy and reach net zero carbon emissions by 2030.
- Perp Games who will reach net zero carbon by 2030, partner with Eden Reforestation Project to plant trees with every copy of their games sold, participate in the Green Game Jam 2022 and reduce plastic packaging.
- Creative Assembly who will run a new sustainability awareness focused Game Jam with their eco partner, Oceans Generation, lead a SEGA Studios team for the Green Game Jam 2022 and introduce carbon emissions data collection by 2022 with the aim of reaching net zero carbon emissions.
These companies were accompanied by trade bodies including The Interactive Games & Entertainment Association in Australia and New Zealand (IGEA), European Games Development Association (EGDF), German Games Industry Association (Game), Neogames Finland Association and Syndicat National du Jeu vidéo (SNJV) who have made a range of commitments focussing on supporting their members to decarbonise and support the Green Game Jam 2022.