Recognised as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation brand and family of products. PlayStation has delivered innovative products to market since the launch of the first PlayStation in Japan in 1994. The PlayStation family of products and services includes PlayStation 4, PlayStation VR, PlayStation Store, and PlayStation Now. SIE also oversees Worldwide Studios, which is responsible for developing exclusive, world-class games for PlayStation. Headquartered in San Mateo, California, SIE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation and has regional headquarters in London and Tokyo.
For the Alliance, Sony Interactive Entertainment has:
- Committed to PlayStation®4 energy efficiency that will result in around 30 million tonnes of avoided carbon equivalent emissions by 2030
- Completed a carbon footprint assessment of their different gaming services and will communicate the energy efficiency measures taken at their data centers with for example approximately 106 million households with PlayStation®4
- Prepared advice for consumers on efficient console set up and use
- Committed to support the industry, experts, and the UN to develop a resource pack for game developers to understand climate change issues
- Committed to investigate the use of VR to raise awareness of climate change